Thursday, April 16, 2009

April Book

CHARLOTTE WOOD: The Children

Almost universally unpopular! This book is one Megan chose and Bookclub was held at her place on April 14th.
Set in Australia, the reviews have given it glowing reports, e.g. 'Wood's best work yet...makes the ordinary moments glow; her sensitivity to visual detail cuts to the quick...a graceful and empathetic portrait of one family seeking to understand itself.'
or
'A vibrant, intelligent, utterly compelling work, achingly real and seductively woven'

Other reviews online were equally as ecstatic.

I didn't have a chance to read it, but have started it since our meeting. I must say, I agree with the reviewer's comments about it's reality and visual detail. I can really see what the author is describing, it's so Australian. I'm enjoying it at the moment, just for it's exploration of the family. But, I think I'll get sick of it as there doesn't seem to be much happening to keep my interest up.

Some of the comments from the Bookclub Meeting:

KATE: Did not finish, although the 90 pages I did read were a bit boring (uneventful).
CATHY: I did finish it, but didn't feel it had any depth and it certainly didn't engage me on any level.
CHRISTIE: Had potential for a great story, however, nothing ever eventuated. Kept you guessing all the time, waiting for something to happen.
MEL: A bit slow and not much body 2.5 out of 10.
SHERYLE: No comment, didn't read!
ARELENE: Took a lot to get into and never actually finished the book, but after reading the reviews (on the internet) I will give it another chance!
TINA: Found the book a bit dramatic - what a family! Enjoyed it though. Found it a bit confusing in the beginning as to what happened with the brother. 8 out of 10

I'll report back when I have finished it!

Megan

2 comments:

  1. Megans comments was interesting but I still agree the book had no depth and I didnt enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasnt my favourite book... Didnt manage to finish it.. It was hard work!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Your comment will appear once it has been moderated.